“Porto de Mós” Castle
Classified as a National Monument since 1910, the “Porto de Mós” Castle was built initially to demonstrate the power of the Arabic people that dominated the region for many years before the Portuguese reconquer, it is an important milestone in the history of the region of Leiria.
A little bit of its history
Built on the ruins of a Roman lookout post, he has a very special form of architecture that results from an accumulation of military, Gothic and Renaissance influences over the centuries.
This fortification, based on a pentagonal structure, was conquered by D. Afonso Henriques to the Moors in 1148, assisted by D. Fuas Roupinho.
Following this event, this stronghold was given to what would become the first mayor of “Porto de Mós” Vila, D. Fuas Roupinho.
In 1305, “Porto de Mós” was granted village by the hand of King “Dinis”. The monarch, later in time offered this castle to his wife, the Queen “Santa Isabel”.
Eighty years later, the fortification had, once again, a decisive role in one of the most important and decisive battles for independence of Portugal face the Spanish, the battle of “Aljubarrota”.
It was under this Castle that “Dom Nuno Alvares Pereira” and the Master of the Avis, later King John I of Portugal, harbored his troops the previous nights before this glorious battle.
The Castle of “Porto de Mós” was the target of various works of recovery, ordered by King “Afonso” in the second half of the century XV. This changes were very influenced by the monarch because of his travels in Europe and the Renaissance trends that prevailed in the current architecture.
As we know him today
In 1755, the fateful earthquake that shook much of the center area of Portugal, destroyed part of it. Several renovation works were made from 1936 to 1999. The last intervention allowed gave us the opportunity to see the Castle of “Porto de Mós” in their current excellent condition.
The “Porto de Mós” Castle is a monument of extraordinary beauty with unusual architecture, located in a historic village that has many attractions nearby.
2480 Porto de Mós
Tel: 244 499 651
Coordinates GPS: 39° 36′ 12″ N | 08° 49′ 08″ W